What a day of rugby.

First and foremost, a big thank you to Ampthill RFC for hosting us on this warm Sunday afternoon.

The Harps Ladies were buzzing and waiting on edge during the week. Everyone was absolutely positive, working hard in training and gave a big effort.

At the beginning of the match both teams' nervousness was noticeable through handling errors, which led to lots of scrums in the first ten minutes. As the game went on, Harps Ladies became calmer and were better on the ball. The pods became effective as we dominated breakdowns. 11 minutes into the game we received a scrum near the opposition's 22 meter line. The ball came out quickly, N. Cooper passed to H. Murray who took it forward and after a good run C. Cranfield came in time to support, got the ball and ran it in under the posts. 0-5 to Harps. The conversion was missed unfortunately by J. Hunnable. The game continued to be physical. Harps defence instinct switched on and they saved two try scoring opportunities on their own try line. It was tense. The opposition pods worked well too: at 29 minutes they attacked, made 3-4 crash balls, managed to break through and score. Conversion was successful too. 7-5

There was no delay in the response from Harps. After the restart we received a scrum near to the 22 metre line. Quick ball again from N. Cooper to H. Murray, Z. Briggs came from depth and got the ball outside. She did not hesitate to take it forward, through 3 defenders on her and after a sidestep she ran through the opposition and scored a beauty - try of the match! J. Hunnable converted this one. 7-12 HT

Second Half

The Ladies were thrilled and continuously attacked, created good mauls. Seven minutes into the half Harps were mauling on the opposition 5 metre line leading to V. Tattersall putting the ball down. 7-17. J. Hunnable converted this one too. 7-19 We did not stop attacking and as reward for this we received a scrum again at the opposition 5 metre line. Big push, F. Aubertin-Scriven picked the ball up from Nr8 position and scored. 7-24. J. Hunnable's footy worked again. 7-26.

Not too long after the restart Ampthill received a yellow card for high tackle. We lost the ball from the resulting penalty and the opposition used this mistake to score but not converted. 12-26 Not much time left till the end and Harps went for a last push. We got the ball back from the restart, E. Whytock made a clever box kick to the far right corner. Good chase and we picked up the ball, after two passes C. Cranfield scored her second try. 12-31 J. Hunnable did not convert this time. Five minutes before the normal time an opposition player was injured as she fell and the referee decided to stop the match. Full time 12-31

All together we are very happy with what we saw. Both forwards and backs worked very hard and their discipline was outstanding. No time to relax, we will continue our hard work for the same success in the future.

Coach Z